Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cider and Highlanders



Merridale Cidery, as Jess mentioned, is a gorgeous, sunny, rolling hilled orchard with a rustic cider house at it's center where you can taste their delicious bounty or have a great lunch while overlooking the orchard. Their many ciders are crafted from their own apples in a traditional style. I must say, I'm quite familiar with Merridale ciders as they are a favorite, refreshing end the the night night-cap at the restaurant. I'd say the sweet Cyser is my favorite. However, I must admit I was inspired to try the Traditional blend this time by the revisiting of some old friends. I've been reading the sixth book of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. (I know Jess is cringing with horror right now) and as the seventeenth century Highlanders come off the barley field at the end of the day usually some lovely lass is waiting with homemade cider to quench the tired, parched mouths of their men. It was with this in mind that I headed purposefully to our local beer and wine store (as I don't have a barrel around back) and picked some up for Jess and I. As I sat in my backyard in the sun, looking across to the field (we have a soccer field next door), I could almost imagine Jamie and Roger coming across, sweaty, kilts and hair blowing in the breeze heading towards the smoke curling from the chimney, and some ice cold cider, ahhhhh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker