Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Old Friends



We recently found a couple of old friends that have taken up a lot of space in our empties bin, Leffe & Hoegaarden. Now for those of you in other parts of the world, civilized world, you might wonder what's the big deal? Well out here on our Island paradise it is difficult to find a lot of variety of import beer, especially Belgian.

My husband and I stopped by a new liquor store that had recently opened up near by and were perusing the isles. We stopped dead infront of the Belgian section and my husband actually lifted me up and swung me around. This was followed by some jumping up and down and general revelry. I wish I was joking here folks but this is an entirely accurate description.

But if you've tasted our friends, I know you'll understand our excitement. Hoegaarden is a white beer that has a cloudy appearance and a completely fresh taste. Like I find with a lot of Belgian beers, it is also more bubbly that our Canadian beers, which I like. It is a smooth, tasty, perfect after beer work.

Leffe is a blond Abbey beer and lets face it those monks know their beer. I find Leffe to be more full bodied that Hoegaarden and more suited for slow sipping. Not that it is at all heavy but it just doesn't have that rush about it.

I think we need to encourage our Canadian Brothers to expand a make a little holy brew themselves.

5 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quebec makes a lot of great white beers. Try Blanche de Chambly by Unibroue (available in BC liquor stores). Comparable to the Hoegaarden, in fact I actually prefer it! If you're ever in Quebec try a Coupe de Gris. It as a drawing of a man levitating a rock on the front label. It is beer from the gods.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger unsophisicated mom said...

Thanks for the advice, I look for it next time I'm at the liquor store.

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like Leffe and Hoegaarden, you should look for Chimay - I like Rouge but Bleue is good too - and also Chimay - a cherry flavoured beer, quite different but good.

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops I meant "and also Kriek" =)

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger unsophisicated mom said...

I love both Chimay and Kriek. Have you tried the cognac beer from France, I think it's just called XO, nummy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker